New Open Source Project

Logan Rathbone logan.rathbone-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 4 03:24:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:54:51 -0500
Paul Kozlenko <pkozlenko-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Anybody's help would be appreciated on the topic of starting a new open source
> project.
>
> I have a project that I would like to start most likely using the LAMP suite
> and I wanted to find out some info and opinions on what steps I should take
> to get started.
>
> For instance:
> 1. If the source code is PHP. There are a number of libraries out there with
> some nice functions. Can this type of code be included without fear of
> retaliation?

Well it depends on the license.  You will definitely want to read through the license that the particular library you would like to use, uses.

> 2. In most projects that I have looked at there is at least one LICENSE file
> (GPL agreement). Can I simply use this file together with my project to
> prevent unorthodox use of the project or parts?

You can and you must; if a project is licensed under the GPL, you may modify it in any way shape or form, as long as your modifications are also GPL.  This is very important!  You may want to check out www.gnu.org for more info.

> 3. If I see some useable code in other GPL projects, can I use the code
> according to the GPL by simply getting written (email) permission to do so?

You do not even have to email them if the project is GPL'd.  However, many programmers are interested in knowing when their stuff is being worked on.  So while it's not required, you may want to do it anyway to be polite.

> 4. If I do get to reuse code, do I have to indicate within the code of my
> project what lines are reused and from where, or is permission to use (#3)
> sufficient?

As long as your code as a whole remains licensed under the GPL, you do not have to make any such indications.  Again, you may want to, but I don't believe it's required.