2.6 Kernel and USB

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 3 18:58:49 UTC 2005

On January 3, 2005 02:56 pm, William O'Higgins wrote:
> I've been trying for a while to get a 2.6 kernel installed on my
> desktop, without total success.  I get large swathes of things right,
> but being able to mount my USB key has never happened.  I tried again
> last week, got the same non-result, and started poking around.  It seems
> that, during the boot process, there are a bunch of modules that throw
> FATAL errors, but I can't seem to find a log of that part of the boot
> process.  Once the machine is up and running, all I need to do is:
> sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
> sudo modprobe uhci_hcd
> and then I can mount my USB key just fine.
>
> I could just add those lines (do I need both?) to my rc.local, but that
> seems stupid - something isn't going right in the module loading
> process and it should be fixable, no?
>
> Any pointers?  Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what distro are you using?  To this end, what WM are
you using?  And, yes, what kernel version are you using?

I have a USB keychain that seems to work (with the odd flakiness) fairly well
under Libranet (Debian/2.4.21kernel).  Setting it up under Libranet's
add-removeable-drive option, it set a line in my etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda1  /flash  auto  adminmenu,defaults,user,noauto,noatime,sync  0  0

(whereas /flash is the mounted drive's path)

Matt

--
Matt Cahill
            m dash cahill at rogers dot com