Linux on an Avaratec 3500 Series laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 1 00:12:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:42:18PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> 3. The disks mount in funny places. The cd-rom is /dev/hda; and the main hard
> drive is /dev/hdc. I have an external USB hard drive, which probably mounts ...
> somewhere. But just not in the usual place. I've tried fdisk'ing /dev/sda,
> /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ... and it was no go.

Well if your HD is hdc and the CD is hda, you connected the connectors
to the motherboard the wrong way.  Swap them, then either fix the fstab
and bootloader of linux, or install it again.

The usb drive should probably be sda or uba if using a very new 2.6
kernel with the new usb storage driver (no idea if it works yet).  It
may or may not have partitions on it.

Lennart Sorensen