Web hosting

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 28 17:32:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 12:26 -0500, William Park wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:28:07AM -0500, Devin Whalen wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I have volunteered myself to build a website for a non-profit
> > organization.  I was going to just host it at my place of work but then
> > I thought it might be better to host it somewhere else in case I ever
> > find a new job and it makes accessing the website awkward or something.
> > Also, I want to see if I can get any better deals.  Anyway, my only
> > requirements for where it is hosted is that they use Linux (or freeBSD),
> > they have perl,php, apache,postgresql (or mysql)...well, all the usual
> > open source web technologies.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  What
> > should I expect as a good price?
>
> If this organization has DSL/Cable access to internet (static
> preferred), then setting up a machine on their site is the best and
> cheapest option.  I don't think "uptime" is of concern here.  Just
> content.

Yeah, I am starting to consider that...although then I am going to have
to build a machine, but that might be fun and a good learning
experience :).  Canaca doesn't look too bad.  I guess it all depends on
how much they want to spend.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer

Take back the Web with FireFox....a browser you can trust
www.getfirefox.com

   .-.
   /v\    L   I   N   U   X
  // \\