List of markets for Open Source tech writing

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 28 13:40:18 UTC 2005

"Rob Sutherland" <rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org> on Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:02
AM wrote:

> Has anyone come across a list of markets for Open Source related
> writing? Something that lists contact info, history, what they're
> looking for and rates? This kind of thing seems to exist for other
> types of writing, but I haven't come across one for OS related stuff.

I am not aware of such a list, but I would be very interested in such a
list. Here is what I gather about such rates:

- Linux Journal Magazine : $600 (U.S.) with a wait times on the order of 1
year +  between submission and publication not unusual (payment is after
publication).

- Linux Journal Website : $150 (U.S.) (payment is after publication).

- Tux On-line Magazine : $300 (U.S.) for a regular article, $100 (U.S.) for
a product review (don't know about payment schedule).

- Linux Documentation Project : $0

William Park has had some articles published on the "Linux Gazette" website
and he might be able to shed some light on them. I don't know about any of
the other publications.

Colin McGregor

Will administer systems and write for food, resume is at :
   http://www.mcgregor.org/resume.htm