KDE not starting and getting access errors

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 21:29:29 UTC 2005

On February 24, 2005 07:26 pm, jim ruxton wrote:
> Thanks Jason,
> Either way I get the same messages unfortunately.
> jim
>
> > On February 24, 2005 08:27 am, jim ruxton wrote:
> > > And when I try to start KDE I get this below. Gnome runs fine. Any
> > > ideas what I did. I also noticed around the same time my hard drive was
> > > at 99% capacity. I've since cleaned it up. This is where Linux gets
> > > fun. Unfortunately my Google searches haven't helped.
> > >
> > > kdeinit: Pipe closed unexpectedly: No such file or directory
> > > kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> > > Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
> > > kdeinit: Pipe closed unexpectedly: No such file or directory
> > > kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> > > Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
> > > startkde: Shutting down...
> > > Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
> > > Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> > > startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> > > startkde: Done.
> > > waiting for X server to shut down
> >
> > Have you tried logging on as root? This will let you know if it is your
> > user configuration files or kde in general that is having problems.

Have you looked into /var/log/ for any relevant information ? On my system I
would look into

/var/log/messages
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/kdm.log

to start with.

Linux normally reports what ails it extremely well.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca