New/old programming language making a splash

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 25 00:07:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:02:06PM -0500, Taavi Burns wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:56:26 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
><lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Personally I really do intend to get around to learning python rather
>> than just looking at other people's pretty code.
>
>This is my problem as well.  So far the biggest impediment to me
>learning python has been my familiarity with perl, and the universal
>availability of the latter on development machines at work.  If
>there's something I want to script, perl is just "the most logical
>choice" for getting the job done (short-term).  ;)

The problem with that is that then you are living with solutions in
Perl.  I have heard Perl described as a write-only language, and it can
certainly be that  - Perl's flexibility means that nearly every program
can appear as line noise if you are careful ;-)

That said, I love Perl, but it's the only language I'm really
comfortable with.  Heck, I write my PHP code in Perl :-)  If you're only
tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a thumb.

The (problem with||best feature of) python is that it is fundamentally
object-oriented, and I still program everything like it's a lathe.
--

yours,

William