New/old programming language making a splash

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 23:42:26 UTC 2005

There are some interesting case-histories documented on the Scriptics
website which show the efficiencies to be gained by using Tcl/Tk to
prototype a program before coding it in C, or to replace a C program.

The original intent of Tcl was as a glue language between applications and
routines written in C, but it's turned out to be a useful language in its
own right.

Peter

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:13:14PM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > > The same description applies to Tcl/Tk... I've found Tcl/Tk very
> > > useful for interaction with electronic hardware and I've heard that it's
> > > used to generate scripts for test equipment for semiconductor parts.
> >
> > Yeah tcl/tk does work for that.  And you can link it together with C
> > functions that you can activate based on events from tk/tcl.  I never
> > did like the syntax though.  Bleagh!
>
> Python is probably the better choice if you're doing lots of programming
> on the interpreted-language side.  Tcl/Tk may well come out ahead if
> you're just using a small interpreted program to control lots of C code.
>
>                                                           Henry Spencer
>                                                        henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,