New/old programming language making a splash

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 18:34:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 08:59:28PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > For slicing/dicing, I recommend my patch to Bash, which was written to
> > do exactly that.
> >     http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff
> >     http://home.eol.ca/parkw/index.html
>
>   Sorry if I didn't come across clearly enough.  I was trying to say
> that I had so far only done really basic BASIC<g>.  I want to get deeper
> into the language now.  That's why I'm trying to get ahold of a manual.

If you don't already know basic, please save yourself thetrouble, and
don't bother.  It is not a very popular language (outside of microsoft,
since I guess Bill Gates thought it was a great language some 20 odd
years ago)  It was easy to implement and hence used on many
microcomputers 20 years ago, but is never considered as particularly
serious for programming.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people in the scientific communities like
python for scripting, since it is quite standardized, clean language,
lots of features, and it can be extended by C by a hired programmer to
implement a handy routine to process a chunk of data fast with the
scrip[t providing the data.

Lennart Sorensen