Samba and RedHat 8 amd WinXP

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 22 02:52:21 UTC 2005

PW Armstrong wrote:
| Anton  -
| I checked and changed some permissions on my directories that I had
| defined as shares, as well as changing the permissions on the parent
| directories, which I hadn't done originally.  I also added both my linux
| computer and my xp computer to the /etc/hosts file, and the
| etc/samba/lmhosts file.  Both files only had entries for localhost, no
| other computers.  Once I did all this, I can now access these shares
| from my xp computer(!).  How do I access my windows shares from my linux
| pc?
|

| Commands executed:
| smbclient -L localhost                  OK
| smbclient -L <name of Linux computer>    OK
| smbclient -L <name of winxp computer>    OK
|
| smbclient -L <IP of WinXP computer>         not OK:
| response:  added interface ip=192.168.1.101 bcast=192.168.1.255
| nmask=255.255.255.0
|                  session request to 192.168.1.100 failed (Called name
| not present)
|                  session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)

I get the same thing when I use the IP of my WinXP box with
'smbclient -L'; weird. However, I still get a list of my shares above
the error message. Since using the name works fine, I wouldn't worry
about it.

| ping <name of WinXP computer>                OK
| ping <IP of winxp computer>                    OK
| smbclient //localhost/<your share>            OK
| smbclient //<name of linux PC>/<your share> OK
|
| Thx for your help.    How do I access my windows shares from my linux pc?

To test, you should just try
"smbclient //<name of WinXP PC>/<your share>"

Also, try using the name you set in the "Computer Properties" of your
WinXP PC, rather than those in '/etc/hosts' (if they are different).

Once you can connect directly using smbclient, you can either mount the
share like any other filesystem (although I have had problems with this
method); read 'man mount.smbfs'. Alternatively, you can use
autofs/automount, konqueror's 'smb://' protocol, or the GNOME/Nautilus
equivalent (I don't use GNOME, so I don't know what it is called).

| -peter
|

| Anton Markov wrote:

| |
| | smbclient -L localhost  smbclient -L <name of Linux computer>
| |    ...these two commands ran fine, showed my the shares I had set up
| |
| | smbclient -L <name of winxp computer>
| |    ...this command gave me the error "connection to <winxp> failed"
|
| This means that your computer can't talk to the WinXP computer. First,
| try to run the command 'smbclient -L <IP of WinXP computer>'. If that
| works, check your '/etc/hosts' file to make sure you have a
| hostname-to-ip mapping. Try running 'ping <name of WinXP computer>' and
| 'ping <IP of winxp computer>'.
|
| If none of these give any clues, you can run "tcpdump" in another
| terminal while trying these commands. That should let you see all
| network traffic, and hopefully diagnose the problem.

| |
| | smbclient //localhost/<your share>
| |    ...this command gave me the error "tree connect failed:
| | NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
| |
| | smbclient //<name of linux PC>/<your share>
| |    ...this command gave me the error "tree connect failed:
| | NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
| |
| | How would I fix these errors?  thx very much
|
| This means that either:
| a) The share does not exist. I assume this is not the case, since you
| can see the name of the share in 'smbclient -L localhost', correct?
|
| b) The directory that the share points to does not exist, or has the
| wrong permissions. Check your samba configuration. Make sure that the
| directory is readable by everyone, or at least by the samba server
| process (I am not sure if the smb process will use the credentials of
| the login to read the files, or if it tries to access them directly).
|

| | Anton Markov wrote:
| | |
| | | I set up samba using SWAT, and my RH pc shows up in my WinXP Network
| | | Places>Microsoft Windows Network>Samba1, as a member in the
| workgroup I
| | | defined (called Samba1).
| | |
| | | However, whenever I try to access either of the shares (I only
| defined
| | | 2), I get the error 'network path was not found' on the XP computer.
| | | I've checked the permissions and they are fine.
| | |
| | | Also, I can't access my XP computer from my RedHat computer either,
| | so I
| | | guess I've got a few more things to do.
| | |
| | | Any suggestions for fixing these two issues?  Thx very much.
| |
| |
| | On the linux computer, run:
| |
| | smbclient -L localhost
| | smbclient -L <name of Linux computer>
| | smbclient -L <name of winxp computer>
| |
| | (the names of all computers in the workgroup show up at the bottom of
| | the 'smbclient -L localhost' command).
| |
| | The commands should list the shares available on each computer. Next,
| | from the Linux computer, run:
| |
| | smbclient //localhost/<your share>
| | smbclient //<name of linux PC>/<your share>
| |
| | Both of these should allow you to connect to the same computer and give
| | you an FTP-like access to the share. If this works, then you will need
| | to adjust your WinXP computer. If not, then the problem is on the Linux
| | side. In either case, it should give you more information about what's
| | going on.

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***