SPAM-LOW: Re:New/old programming language making a splash

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 21 01:57:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 07:13:59PM -0500, David Mayerlen wrote

>  The world could use less "BASIC". Too many suffer from Microsoft's
> "Visual" BASIC. Nostalgia aside there are no good reasons to use it that I
> can think of with all the other amazing choices of programming languages
> available.

  The abomination known as "Visual Basic" has virtually nothing in
common with QuickBasic.  Visual Basic is the poster child of fat,
bloated, "abject ornamentation".  QBASIC and QuickBasic (and FreeBASIC)
are lightweight, procedural languages which allow the user to write
structured programs.

>  Hey, how did we get into a Windows discussion? Cygwin and QBASIC on
> Windows? Huh?

  I think I mentioned that FreeBASIC runs on both Windows and Linux.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.