Samba and RedHat 8 amd WinXP

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 20 16:26:36 UTC 2005

PW Armstrong wrote:
| Anton  -  thx for the tips.  I got some errors running these commands,
| as follows.
|
| smbclient -L localhost  smbclient -L <name of Linux computer>
|    ...these two commands ran fine, showed my the shares I had set up
|
| smbclient -L <name of winxp computer>
|    ...this command gave me the error "connection to <winxp> failed"

This means that your computer can't talk to the WinXP computer. First,
try to run the command 'smbclient -L <IP of WinXP computer>'. If that
works, check your '/etc/hosts' file to make sure you have a
hostname-to-ip mapping. Try running 'ping <name of WinXP computer>' and
'ping <IP of winxp computer>'.

If none of these give any clues, you can run "tcpdump" in another
terminal while trying these commands. That should let you see all
network traffic, and hopefully diagnose the problem.

| smbclient //localhost/<your share>
|    ...this command gave me the error "tree connect failed:
| NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
|
| smbclient //<name of linux PC>/<your share>
|    ...this command gave me the error "tree connect failed:
| NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
|
| How would I fix these errors?  thx very much

This means that either:
a) The share does not exist. I assume this is not the case, since you
can see the name of the share in 'smbclient -L localhost', correct?

b) The directory that the share points to does not exist, or has the
wrong permissions. Check your samba configuration. Make sure that the
directory is readable by everyone, or at least by the samba server
process (I am not sure if the smb process will use the credentials of
the login to read the files, or if it tries to access them directly).

| Anton Markov wrote:

| |
| | I set up samba using SWAT, and my RH pc shows up in my WinXP Network
| | Places>Microsoft Windows Network>Samba1, as a member in the workgroup I
| | defined (called Samba1).
| |
| | However, whenever I try to access either of the shares (I only defined
| | 2), I get the error 'network path was not found' on the XP computer.
| | I've checked the permissions and they are fine.
| |
| | Also, I can't access my XP computer from my RedHat computer either,
| so I
| | guess I've got a few more things to do.
| |
| | Any suggestions for fixing these two issues?  Thx very much.
|

| On the linux computer, run:
|
| smbclient -L localhost
| smbclient -L <name of Linux computer>
| smbclient -L <name of winxp computer>
|
| (the names of all computers in the workgroup show up at the bottom of
| the 'smbclient -L localhost' command).
|
| The commands should list the shares available on each computer. Next,
| from the Linux computer, run:
|
| smbclient //localhost/<your share>
| smbclient //<name of linux PC>/<your share>
|
| Both of these should allow you to connect to the same computer and give
| you an FTP-like access to the share. If this works, then you will need
| to adjust your WinXP computer. If not, then the problem is on the Linux
| side. In either case, it should give you more information about what's
| going on.

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***