Ethernet counters?

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 19 12:44:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've made a *very* simple router using Linux Floppy Firewall as a base

<http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/>

All I wanted was a router; no firewall, no packet filtering. I
compiled a kernel using the 2.4.29 "vanilla" sources from
kernel.org.  I removed everything from the kernel config that I
didn't feel was necessary, including netfilter and all things related.

OK, so it works fine as a router, as intended, but I've noticed that
the "RX packets" and "TX packets" counters shown from an ifconfig
command are now always zero. There definitely are packets going in
and out of both ethernet interfaces.  The counters do work with the
original floppyfw kernel.

So, my question is, what handles these counters and what do I have to
enable in the kernel to make them work again?  I wouldn't think that
this is a netfilter function, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Scott A.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **