any touch screen experience there?

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 16 19:07:44 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:20:57PM -0500, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>
>>Just wonder if there is anybody around who knows something how touch
>>screens work under Linux?
>>
>>The company I have some work with sells kiosks with touch screens. They
>>operate on Windows. It would be wonderfull to change their OS to Linux,
>>wouldnt it?
>>
>>At the moment I do not know much technical details, but I will know
>>more, soon.
>

> Touch screen is very application dependent (because you need to
> interpret what x,y=20,30 means) and OS dependent (because of drivers).

Why?

Finger is like mouse pointer. Though it may be possible to put two
fingers at once. And that is indeed the level of "driver-dependant". But
otherwise I see no difference with usual screen.

I know at the moment that there are touch screens based on capacitance
and resistnace network. The later seem to perform better in changing
environement conditions. There is yet probably very few companies that
produce touch screens. Relatively few that do them for Toronto, etc.
This is potentially a big market, but Windows only seems to be used
there, for now.

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking