AVP Project?

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 15 20:35:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:43:06 +0000 (GMT), Robert Brockway
<rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, psema4 wrote:
>
> > In essence (and this is far from complete...) the original aim was to
> > present my vision of a new, modern, open source MULTICS over the web.
>
> So how did the talk go (I could not attend unfortunately) and what is this
> about Multics? :)

Sorrry, I was called away on short notice.

I think it went fairly well for my first try - although I certainly
need to work on bringing more focus in the future to the
topic-at-hand.  I'd like to thank everyone who got involved with the
conversations and asked questions.  I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
:-)

Basically, the project's aim was to follow in the footsteps of the GNU
project (build and connect small components - in this case, web
scripts rather than binaries and shell scripts - until a system is
functional).  Because the project aims to produce an "Operating
Environment" that would be available to any "Operating System" with a
web browser, the extension to a MULTICS-like utility is not a terribly
difficult stretch.

Now that the hectic insanities of the last few months is starting to
subside, I can concentrate more on documenting and developing the
"environment core" (or "web-system core").

More details as to how the system is actually built may be posted
here, dependant on how our project team makes it's decisions about
whether to close the source, keep it open, and/or what business
model(s) to use.

For those not present at the Feb. TLUG meeting, I mentioned an
opportunity I'm having with the other project heads - a great many
people are afraid of and/or do not understand the benefits to be had
from "open source".  I need to find away to communicate these benefits
to people who have little or no knowledge of FLOSS (Free/Libre and
Open Source Software).

In an effort to gain a more focused understanding of what FLOSS is,
I've started collecting some reference links and thoughts at
http://psema4.gotdns.com/cgi-bin/forums/Blah.cgi?,v=display,b=linchat,m=1108445378

The thread is open to anyone who'd like to discuss or contribute
thoughts, information, or just ask questions.

Hopefully I'll get my act together soon and maybe do another talk down
the road.  :-)

--
- SGE