Blade Servers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 14 22:04:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 04:55:18PM -0500, teddy mills wrote:
> I have to install about 100 servers into a small space in 5 large blocks
> of 20 each.
> I thought of using 5 small blocks of BladeServers.
>
> I would go with IBM, but they sold all their PC sales to Lenova.
> Im not keen on buying IBM right now.

Well they are trying to.  Does that include the IBM servers though?

Perhaps the servers are part of another division.  I don't know that's
for sure.

> Then there is Dell, but the're not innovators, just good copiers.
> Then there is the HP. I know HP makes enterprise hardware, but anyone
> have any good/bad
> experience with Blade Servers?
>
> What about reliable small form factor PCs? Like shuttle PCs, but even
> smaller?
> Thats why I like the blades. They occupy the least amount of space.

Well you certainly can get lots of 1U systems from various companies,
which means 42 machines per standard rack.

What kind of disk space, ram, processing ability, etc, does each system,
need to have?

Lennart Sorensen