adding command to startup

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 14 19:33:42 UTC 2005

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:30:34AM -0500, Matt Cahill wrote:
> >    Well, this is the thing (strange as it is):  if I type 'xauth merge
> >    /home/matt/.Xauthority' (as root), it works for as long as my
> >    computer is running.  As soon as I reboot, I need to do it again.
> >    As this is an area I have very little knowledge of, I'm not sure
> >    what's 'right' and what's 'weird'.  I *do* know that it's
> >    inconvenient ;)
>
> Well I haven't really played with xauth for some years, so it is likely
> what used to work, is now considered a security problem, and that is not
> generates new xauth cookies on each startup of X.

Quoting from the xauth man page:

    Normally xauth is not used to create the authority file entry in the
    first place; xdm does that.

And on my system, X is run (from gdm) like this:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth \
       -nolisten tcp vt7

which strongly suggests the authority file is generated by gdm.

In any case, the authorization information used by the X server is usually
specific to each instance (of the X server), so you would have to merge your
credentials whenever you login (to X) as [xgk]dm may start a new instance of
the X server whenever you login.  If you're using gdm, you can do this in
your /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default script which is run as root, just after
you've authenticated but before your session is started.  This is documented
in the gdm reference manual available from the GNOME help system.  There are
similar mechanisms for xdm and kdm.  The rc scripts (/etc/init.d/rc?.d/* or
/etc/rc.d/*) are not the right place for this kind of thing because it's
user specific and needs to be done at login not at boot.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada