SD Card only fills halfway - SOLVED

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 18:46:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:14:44AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> There was one other suggestion - that there are too many files in the
>> top level directory - well, I doubt it, because there are 147.  Thanks
>> though.
>
>If you use long files names (what vfat is for) then 147 files can easily
>take 512 dir entries.  That would only require average filenames of
>around 20 characters each.

That was it.  I removed a file and put a larger one back (I should know
better than to test with the same data every time) and it took, so the
diagnosis of FAT stupidity was correct.  I created a directory in the
root of the card, mv'd everything into it, and added another 400Mb of
files, and it all works fine.

Is there a way I can see if the filesystem is FAT16 or FAT32?

Thanks to all who replied.
--

yours,

William