SD Card only fills halfway

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 17:12:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:21:06AM -0500, William O'Higgins wrote:
> That is interesting.  The resident files are mp3 files with descriptive,
> meaningful filenames, i.e. quite long ones.  I would mess about with
> this (briefly, of course) at work, but the case design of my work
> computer implies a "vga out||USB card-reader" relationship, which is a
> slight problem.  Thanks for the tips.
>
> The card is brand new, so if there is a problem I might be able to do
> something about it.

If the player supports FAT32, use that (it's more space efficient in
general since it uses smaller blocks than FAT16), and it supports as
many files in the root dir as you want.

If that isn't an option, start using subdirectories.  If the player
doesn't like that, it's a crappy player.  Of course any decent player
would use mp3 id tags for the display, and ignore the filenames, in
which case one could simply use msdos instead of vfat for mounting it
and avoid the use of long filenames for all the songs.  I would consider
that the least desirable option though.

Lennart Sorensen