SD Card only fills halfway

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 14:55:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:22:10PM -0500, William O'Higgins wrote:
> Well, that's interesting.  Here's the output of df -i:
>
> /dev/sda1                  0       0       0    -  /mnt/card
>
> I checked out a USB storage device with similar parameters, and shows
> the same lack of inodes, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

FAT doesn't have inodes.

It does have a limited number of entries in the root of the filesystem.
The limit is 512 entries.  Long filenames take multiple entries per file
(the excact number being at least 2 and up to however many it takes to
store the filename.  Longer names use more entries.)  Subdirectories do
not have such limitations.

Lennart Sorensen