SD Card only fills halfway

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 14:54:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 05:56:20AM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> How are the files arranged? MS-DOS filesystems used to have a limit of
> 256 (I think) files or directories in the top level directory. I would
> have hoped that they'd have got past that by now, but it may be a
> lingering gotcha.

FAT32 fixed that.  Of course 1GB can easily be formated with FAT16
although you end up with rather large block size in that case.  Not sure
if all media card devices would support fat32 of course.  If they don't
they will have a problem going past 2 or 4GB cards of course.  It isn't
as if they haven't had close to 10 years to get around to supporting
FAT32.

Lennart Sorensen