SD Card only fills halfway

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 11 05:44:19 UTC 2005

Jason Shein wrote:
| On February 11, 2005 03:52 am, William O'Higgins wrote:
|
|>I have a 1 Gb SD card which works just fine under Linux, except that it
|>thinks it's full when it isn't.  Here is the error message:
|>
|>cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/card/linux-penguin.png': No space
|>left on device
|>
|>And here is the output of df:
|>
|>/dev/sda1               991488    514192    477296  52% /mnt/card
|>
|>The fstab line looks like this:
|>
|>/dev/sda1    /mnt/card    vfat    rw,user,noauto      0   0
|>
|>I'd just love to be able to use the whole card, but either my Google
|>skills are rusty or this is weird/unusual.  Any thoughts?
|

| I am currenly having the same problem on a 512 Mb SD, SanDisk
|
| On my desktop machine running Gentoo, It says it is full after 256 or
so. I
| find that If I unmount the card, then remount it I am able to fill it
| further.
|
| On my laptop, Debian unstable, it works in one shot.
|
| odd...

Could this have something to do with the disk buffers? For both Jason
and William, try using something like:

| /dev/sda1    /mnt/card    vfat    rw,user,noauto,sync,dirsync      0 0

That is the equivalent of running 'sync' after every write. You could
also try running 'sync' manually instead of remounting, and see if it
has the same effect.

N.B. You should be using the 'sync' option on removable media anyways,
to prevent problems should the media be accidentally removed without
unmounting.

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***