linuxcaffe; become peripheraly involved !

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 9 21:51:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:42:34 -0500, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 03:22:02PM -0500, Joseph Kubik wrote:
>
> They used to be some of the machines serving CS classes at U of Waterloo
> back in the late 80s.  I personally can't imagine a class of students
> all trying to compile their assignments on one of these at the same
> time.  I have been told it was a slow process.  Checking your syntax
> carefully first before asking for a compile was apparently a good idea.

Hah. I remember that.

In Winter '77, I chose cards over WIDJET for doing my COBOL course
because the turnaround time was minutes on WIDJET (when it was
available) and seconds on cards. The only tip I knew of was to never
leave your stack of cards on the printer -- it was a model that
automatically opened its cover when it ran out of paper .. if there
were cards on top, they slid off into a lovely jumble on the floor.

JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 12 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 12 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 12 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 12 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 12 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 11 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 11 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 11 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 11 ..
JOB IS IN QUEUE POSITION 11 ..

That got old really fast. Sometimes the old technology really is faster.

Alex