linuxcaffe; become peripheraly involved !

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 9 20:42:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 03:22:02PM -0500, Joseph Kubik wrote:
> What bus are the 3/50s and 3/60s?

The 3/50 has no expansion bus.  It just has onboard 10mbit ethernet (AUI
connector), 3 row 50pin sun scsi connector, 1152x900 mono display.

The 3/60 has a P4 connector, although apparently different from the same
looking connector on a 3/80.  I don't believe they are in any way
compatible with any hardware from a sun 4 series.

They are all expanded to 12M ram (which on the 3/50 involves an entire
extra board inserted between the cpu and the mainboard).  It also runs
rather hot as a result of all of those chips. :)

They used to be some of the machines serving CS classes at U of Waterloo
back in the late 80s.  I personally can't imagine a class of students
all trying to compile their assignments on one of these at the same
time.  I have been told it was a slow process.  Checking your syntax
carefully first before asking for a compile was apparently a good idea.

Lennart Sorensen