Fedora Core 2 Kernel Updating

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 9 16:57:12 UTC 2005

Brian K. Garel wrote:

>Just a quick question for you...I was wondering how safe it is to do the
>Automatic updating of the kernel using the "Uptodate" utility.

If you are getting the update from the main Fedora Core repository or an
official mirror you should have no problem. I have download new kernels
several times on my FC3 machine with no problems. The only problem I
have had with up2date has been it usually appearing to hang while doing
dependency checks when there are a large number (around 50 to 100) of
packages available for update. I only find I run in to that situation
just after a new install. The easy solution to that problem is to do the
update by invoking yum from a command line instead of using up2date.