Fedora Core 2 Kernel Updating

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 9 15:47:41 UTC 2005

Brian K. Garel wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Just a quick question for you...I was wondering how safe it is to do the
> Automatic updating of the kernel using the "Uptodate" utility.  I tried it a
> while back using Red Hat 7.something and it took me quite a while to recover
> from the whole experience...so basic question...can I upgrade the kernel
> using that utility or should I seek alternate methods.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

You mean 'up2date'? If so, I've been using it a lot for years to do
kernel upgrades. I went to FC1 as soon as it came out (RH8&9 were...
*shudder*). I have yet (touch wood) to have a problem with the new
kernel but still to be safe I left the old, working kernel in place
"just in case".

Sometimes I find the 'up2date' servers congested and I have also started
using 'apt-get' (there's a Fedora X version on 'http://freshrpms.net')
to do a lot of the upgrades, including the kernel. If your machine has X
then install 'apt-get', go to the shell (as root) and type:

# apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade && apt-get install synaptic
&& synaptic &

That will update your local information on what 'apt-get' can get. '-y'
tells it to assume "yes" to all questions and 'dist-upgrade' tells it to
run "smart-upgrade" (more aggressive at solving dependancy issues. If
you are uncomfortable, use 'upgrade' instead of '-y dist-upgrade').
'install synaptic' does just that, installs the 'synaptic' graphical
front end for 'apt-get'. Finally, launch 'synaptic'.

When Synaptic runs for the first time it will ask if you want to run in
"Smart Mode", this is the same as 'dist-upgrade'. In the GUI I would
recommend it because you will have a chance to confirm any changes
before they happen.

To upgrade the kernel in Synaptic simply search for packages with
'kernel' in the name and choose those you want to install.

hth,

Madison