getting IP address of router

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 8 15:54:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:34:45 -0500
jim ruxton disseminated the following:

> I'm sitting on a network behind a wireless Netgear router. Is there a
> way to determine the routers dynamic internet IP address easily ie.
> without going into the routers configuration menu?

I use this Python script to update my dynamic IP, it has this bit in it, sounds
like it may be useful/helpful to you:

def Devices():
  print
  print "The script will locate the address of your router automatically by "
  print "looking at the default route of the machine you are running on. "
  print "Then it will read the status page for the external IP address "
  print "and use that for updates.  You need to specify the admin password "
  print "with the appropriate option. "
  print
  print "          -A password    Askey or Dynalink RTA210/110 password"
  print "          -B password    New Barricade with password on port 88"
  print "          -F password    SMC Barricade 2401 password "
  print "          -L password    Linksys (BEFSR41) NAT router password "
  print "          -N password    Netgear (RT311) NAT router password "
  print "          -8 password    Netgear (MR814) wireless router password "
  print "          -D password    Draytek (Vigor2000) NAT router password "
  print "          -O password    Netopia (R9100) NAT router password "
  print "          -P password    MacSense XRouter Pro password "
  print "          -H password    HawkingTech router password "
  print "          -W password    Watchguard SOHO NAT firewall password "
  print "          -Y password    Cayman DSL 3220H NAT router password "
  print "          -Q pword,iface password and interface for Instant Internet "
  print "          -2 password    Compaq iPAQ Connection Point CP-2W password "

Link:

http://zoneclient.sourceforge.net/

Looks like it will access the status page of your router and output your
external IP without bouncing off of a Web page like http://checkip.dyndns.org/.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
10:46:19 up 36 days, 23:27, 7 users, load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.00