swapless in Toronto

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 8 14:50:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:10:46PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I expect DP is using a journalled file system (ext3 or reiserfs).  I expect
> that if he got into heavy swap usage, journalling the swapfile might slow
> things down even more.  Odds are that he won't run into that though.

Well reiserfs 4 might be an issue, although reiserfs3 and ext3 (in
default ordered mode) only journal meta data and given how the kernel
accesses the swap file there should be no meta data updates happening.
I suspect the kernel in general treats swapfiles specially and not as
regular file opens (since it is the kernel that has it open, not an
application, so regular file access rules need not apply).

Lennart Sorensen