swapless in Toronto

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 7 18:11:15 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=512

djp at otter:~ $ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=512
Password:
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
536870912 bytes transferred in 35.092725 seconds (15298638 bytes/sec)

can you tell me what happened here ? (I trust you, Lennart, so I just
went and did it) but I'd like to know.
(and how come it took you a whole seven minutes to come up with this ?
were you in the can ?)

>mkswap /swapfile

I'll do it as soon as I understand step A

>add swapfile to fstab the same way you would a partition for swap.

/swapfile   /swapfile   swap   defaults   0   0            ?

>  The
>performance difference is minimal as far as I know.

As long as I can avoid the memory trainwreck, I can wait a few extra
nanoseconds.
thanks Lennart,
djp