Filesystem overlay ?

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 4 21:50:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:40:18 -0700, Adil Kodian <akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> you have a CDROM mounted with /var on it that is read-only.
>
> now you can create a ramdisk and mount it as /var (or whatever you need to
> be writable.

Normally that will "overmount" the CDROM so that all you get is your ramdisk.
I believe what William was asking about was a way to configure the CDROM
and a ramdisk to do basically do 'copy on write'.  Unchanged portions of
/var remain on the CDROM and are read from it, and changed portions are
saved in RAM.

At least, I think that's what he was getting at.  So the question
becomes "what's
the appropriate mount option for the ramdisk?"

Perhaps 'man mount' has an answer?

--
taa
/*eof*/