partitioning problems when trying to install Fedora Core 3

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 4 00:45:17 UTC 2005

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On February 3, 2005 12:07, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>>There is no need for a seperate /boot on any modern PC.  Only back when
>>there was trouble with 512, 2G or 8G drives did you really need one when
>>using a drive larger than that.  Any machine built in the last 5 years
>>should certainly work fine without it (heck my 1992 486 with a 95 BIOS
>>works with drives up to 137G without a /boot)
>

> I like the idea of isolating the kernel(s) on a separate partition and having
> it nomount and ext2. In the event of a dirty shutdown, that which is not
> mounted is not likely to get corrupted.

Hmm, but the kernel won't do you much good if your 'init' program, for
example, is corrupted (I've had it happen). In that case you may want to
keep a copy of a known good root partition (my root partition is only
about 500MB) on a seperate, nomount partition. That way if something is
wrong, you can select an alternate entry in your boot loader and boot away.

Personally, I prefer to keep a Knoppix CD handy. If something goes
wrong, I boot from the CD, chroot into my old system, reinstall /
recover from backups the kernel and anything else I need to boot,
reboot, and the system is back online.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***