partitioning problems when trying to install Fedora Core 3

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 21:27:23 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:11:32PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>>Also, /home makes it easier to upgrade the OS, without clobbering your
>>data or settings.
>

> How?  I know slackware in the past required reinstalling / and /usr to
> do an "upgrade", but with things like debian and redhat, and upgrade is
> just an upgrade and nothing in the installer during an upgrade should
> change /home.

But other freak incidents will. Three days ago either some memory error
(I was playing with my BIOS settings) or a power fluctuation caused
Linux to write garbage all over my '/usr' partition. Fortunately, I was
able to simply re-format it and use APT to reinstall all my software,
without loosing any configuration ('/etc' on root partition was intact),
or data ('/home' is another partition too). If  I had used a single
partition, I would be saying "bye, bye" to my data.

> More partitions just means more places for partitions to be full while
> other partitions have lots of free space.  Not a good idea for new users
> (or even experienced ones in many cases).

In this case you can use LVM. It can take any combination of "physical
volumes" (partitions, disks, RAID arrays, etc.), and split them up in
any way you wish. That way you can create as many partitions as you need
to split up your data by type, rather than how much space it takes up
(i.e. '/usr' partition for programs, '/home' for your data, '/video' for
all video work (using an XFS file system, for example, etc.). If you
ever run out of space on one drive, you can take the space from another.
If you buy a new hard drive, you can add its space to one of your
existing partitions. A very useful.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***