Linux or BSD on tiny HD?

Dan Gennidakis dgenn-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 17:51:35 UTC 2005

I would also recommend Arch www.archlinux.org . It's a single base iso to install just the OS core so it's small to begin with. It's not newbie centric in nature, but has a good user base/forums and the install doc is pretty straight forward. Any software you want to install on top of that is done easily with pacman the package manager which also does dependency checking. One thing to note is that this is an i686 optimized distro.

Dan

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:09:58AM -0500, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a spare computer that I want to install either linux or BSD
> onto. Thing is it only has 540MB (yes, 1/2 Gig) hard drive (but it's
> got 192MB RAM thankfully). I basically want a light-weight distro just
> to play around with (still learning linux). I think this is a good way
> to learn. I grew up with a lot DOS and I really love the BASH shell,
> so I am not afraid of any of that! :-)

Slackware. Honestly, if you're starting out on Linux, then get a
harddisk to do a full install. You can trimming it down to 512MB, but
how would you know which packages to include and exclude, if you never
tried them?

> So my question is for suggestion of either Linux or BSD distros to
> install on that small of a drive. I'd like to have X installed, but
> not really necessary I suppose (and definitely not Gnome or KDE). I
> have O'Reilly's Linux in a Nutshell reference book (and TLUG) so
> hopefully I can learn to swim in the deep end. I've got a bit of Linux
> knowledge, but only enough to get me by with installing something easy
> like Fedora, or Live CDs like Knoppix.
>
> Part 2 of my question is that I want to be able to connect my ethernet
> card from this computer to my windows box to share/access files there.
> Do I need a router, or is there a way to connect two computers
> directly? Sorry if this is a basic question for some people here! Even
> if someone can point me to a site or document that can help me with
> networking using linux/bsd/windows.

It's called "crossover", as opposed to "patch" cable.

--
William Park , Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because I can type.