Linux or BSD on tiny HD?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 16:25:36 UTC 2005

 --- Steve <bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a spare computer that I want to install
> either linux or BSD
> onto. Thing is it only has 540MB (yes, 1/2 Gig) hard
> drive (but it's
> got 192MB RAM thankfully). I basically want a
> light-weight distro just
> to play around with (still learning linux). I think
> this is a good way
> to learn. I grew up with a lot DOS and I really love
> the BASH shell,
> so I am not afraid of any of that! :-)
>
> So my question is for suggestion of either Linux or
> BSD distros to
> install on that small of a drive. I'd like to have X
> installed, but
> not really necessary I suppose (and definitely not
> Gnome or KDE). I
> have O'Reilly's Linux in a Nutshell reference book
> (and TLUG) so
> hopefully I can learn to swim in the deep end. I've
> got a bit of Linux
> knowledge, but only enough to get me by with
> installing something easy
> like Fedora, or Live CDs like Knoppix.

Asking about distribution choices is like asking about
religion, it will generate a lot of friction but it
may not generate a lot of light. So, with that in mind
I would suggest Debian (Woody), it's install package
is ugly, and more complex than it ought to be but it
can be tailored down to very modest amounts of space
and it will teach you a lot.

> Part 2 of my question is that I want to be able to
> connect my ethernet
> card from this computer to my windows box to
> share/access files there.
> Do I need a router, or is there a way to connect two
> computers
> directly? Sorry if this is a basic question for some
> people here! Even
> if someone can point me to a site or document that
> can help me with
> networking using linux/bsd/windows.

Yes you can connect two machines directly, what you
will need is an ethernet cross-over cable (depending
on length should be under $10 at most PC clone shops).

For sharing files you will need to look into software,
at the low (easy end) have a ftp, somewhat more
complex have a look at Samba (both ftp and Samba are
GPL'ed free software included with most Linux
distributions).

If you want to connect more than two machines together
you will need a hub or a switch (hubs have no smarts
to route packets, thus hubs normally have lower
performace, but are also normally cheaper than
switches). Depending on the number ports you can get a
basic hub for under $20...