Linux or BSD on tiny HD?

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 3 16:09:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a spare computer that I want to install either linux or BSD
onto. Thing is it only has 540MB (yes, 1/2 Gig) hard drive (but it's
got 192MB RAM thankfully). I basically want a light-weight distro just
to play around with (still learning linux). I think this is a good way
to learn. I grew up with a lot DOS and I really love the BASH shell,
so I am not afraid of any of that! :-)

So my question is for suggestion of either Linux or BSD distros to
install on that small of a drive. I'd like to have X installed, but
not really necessary I suppose (and definitely not Gnome or KDE). I
have O'Reilly's Linux in a Nutshell reference book (and TLUG) so
hopefully I can learn to swim in the deep end. I've got a bit of Linux
knowledge, but only enough to get me by with installing something easy
like Fedora, or Live CDs like Knoppix.

Part 2 of my question is that I want to be able to connect my ethernet
card from this computer to my windows box to share/access files there.
Do I need a router, or is there a way to connect two computers
directly? Sorry if this is a basic question for some people here! Even
if someone can point me to a site or document that can help me with
networking using linux/bsd/windows.

Thanks for any help and suggestions as always.

-Steve.

--
Mozilla Firefox -rediscover the web-