partitioning problems when trying to install Fedora Core 3

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 2 15:44:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:16:05PM -0500, Simon Tonekham wrote:
> First of all, how do I be able to boot the redhat installer into expert
> mode? I don't see an option stating this in my boot CD, so I have to
> find other means on getting into expert mode and therefore if all else
> fails, I would have to remove all partitions off my hard drive and start
> with a normal installation. I may have to find a way on how to create a
> VFAT partition in Linux. Any advice?

Well it used to be that at the boot prompt of the CD you could type in
'expert' or something like that, and you would get the text installer
instead of a graphical one and it wouldn't try to tell you how to do
things.  Of course that was years ago, back around redhat 6 (and older).
that's when the package quality got sufficiently bad that I stopped
using it, so I have no idea if they still have such an option.

Creating more partitions after installing should be easy, assuming the
installer doesn't eat the whole disk for it's own partitions, by simply
using cfdisk to create a new partition, of the apropriate type for fat32
and then using mkdosfs -F 32 on the new partition (probably after a
reboot to reread the partition table after using fdisk) to format it as
vfat32.  Then you add it to fstab and mount it.

I still find it hard to believe there is no installer option for 'manual
partitioning'.  That would make it almost as bad as the Corel Linux
installer which would die with no option to help it if it didn't
identify all the hardware automatically.

Lennart Sorensen