OT?vsftpd

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 21:56:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Alan Cohen wrote:

> TSX (PDP11) started in the 70's.

I made the connection tsx-11.mit.edu of course :)  That was one of the
first great repositories of Linux software (along with sunsite.unc.edu).

> TSX32 (80386+ platforms) started in the 80's.
> I've been closely involved with it for over 25 years. I'd be tickled
> pink to tell you more about it.

I'd be interested to hear.  Unixes often have an interest in alternative
OSes.  HUMBUG (http://www.humbug.org.au) even accepts "non maintream
OSes" in its constitution.

> It would certainly be terrific if TSX (which can't do a secure-anything)
> could, with the help of a Linux intermediary, end up doing a secure copy
> (scp/ssh/sftp). But I don't yet see how.

The main thing is to have it secure before it leaves the network of
course.

> Presumably, "A" is TSX running an ftp client and "B" is Linux running
> the vsftpd server to which TSX connects. I don't see how you can wedge
> the functionality of "have it (ie: machine B) transfer a file" inside
> the vsftpd server.

I had a play around but I couldn't remember how to do this.  In any case
firewalls play havoc with active (aka non-passive) connections :(

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.