X freezing after updating from 10.0 to 10.1

Brian K. Garel BGarel-Dc855NvzOYgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 17:38:42 UTC 2005

I had a similar problem on the weekend where X froze right up on me...as it
turned out DCOP wasn't communicating properly with the various desktop
protocols....to make the long story short I tried logging into X as root and
it let me in no problem so I just copied ~root/.DCOP* over to my user
directory and change the ownership of the files...and I've had no problems
since....I'm sure that isn't a very methodical troubleshooting process but it
worked for me!  :)

Brian

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 11:38, Bill Mudry wrote:
> This past week I worked on updating my Mandrake box from 10.0 to 10.1.
> Most of the application programs went well. The change over of the kernel
> took a bit more coaching for me from another Linux person but I got it to
> work (as far as I can tell). However, on the X system, all I get is a blue
> screen. The cursor (a plus sign with white edges) moves around but
> there are absolutely NO icons on the screen and no keystrokes work
> at all.  This is even after running XFdrake (which did seem to do a bunch
> of configuring) and checking some things.with mcc at the prompt.
>
> The only way I got to a prompt has been through booting on Failsafe. Even
> another lilo entry of 2.6.3 raced to the blue screen and froze. I have been
> able to change it so that it now stops at the command line (whew!) so at
> least the machine can take commands.
>

> I still am relatively new to Linux and have a long ways to go. Since my
> field of specialty is in web work, I cannot work without a proper gui
> screen and browser. The system worked just fine under 10.0. What
> recommendations do you have?
>
> Mr. hopeful,
>
> Bill Mudry
> Mississauga, Ontario