ntpdate working too well question.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 13:13:43 UTC 2005

"William Park" <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> on Monday, January 31, 2005 10:18 PM
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:57:14PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > "William Park" <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> on Monday, January 31, 2005 9:39
PM
> > wrote:
> > > All time data are in GMT.  Your /etc/timezone will convert to local
> > > time when displaying or when saving to CMOS (if it's set to local
> > > time).
> >
> > Yes, but HOW does my system know it is in the Eastern Standard time
> > zone as opposed to MST (Mountain Standard Time) or Central Time or
> > .... Where is the time zone information stored on the Knoppix disk, or
>
> $ ls -l /etc/localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           34 Nov  8  2003 /etc/localtime ->
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Eastern

Ok, but how does Knoppix determine that I am in the Eastern time zone? If I
were to set the box up in say B.C. would the machine still be on Eastern
time or would it shift to Pasific time automatically? If it does shift how
does it it know?

> > where/how does Knoppix get the time zone information from the network?
> > There is the problem...
>
> It doesn't.  It gets time in GMT from the NTP server.

Ok, so again the displays I see are in local time. How does the system know
what "local time" is?

Colin McGregor