ntpdate working too well question.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 02:57:14 UTC 2005

"William Park" <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> on Monday, January 31, 2005 9:39 PM
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:26:28PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > I am back playing with remastering Knoppix (not surprising given that I
> > talked about that at TLUG in December), and I have run into something
that
> > is working too well. As part of the boot I want to make sure the clock
in
> > the PC is displaying the correct date/time, so I have a little script
that
> > has:
> >
> >    #!/bin/bash
> >    ntpdate -s -u <<name of timeserver>>
> >
> > The above works, perfectly, which I don't understand. How does the
system
> > know I am in Eastern Standard Time and not say for example Pacific
Standard
> > Time?
> >
> > As part of a test disk I have /etc/timezone set to CET (Central European
> > Time), so ntpdate is NOT getting the correct time zone there. I have
> > deliberately set the clock in my development PC to a date in December
2007,
> > 6 hours different from the correct current time. Then I have tried
> > timeservers in the Eastern Time zone and in the Pacific time zone, both
come
> > up with the correct current local date/time, so the timeservers are not
> > sending current local time. In other words things are working perfectly,
and
> > that bugs the @#$% out of me because I don't understand why.
>
> All time data are in GMT.  Your /etc/timezone will convert to local
> time when displaying or when saving to CMOS (if it's set to local time).

Yes, but HOW does my system know it is in the Eastern Standard time zone as
opposed to MST (Mountain Standard Time) or Central Time or .... Where is the
time zone information stored on the Knoppix disk, or where/how does Knoppix
get the time zone information from the network? There is the problem...

Colin McGregor