ntpdate working too well question.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 02:51:22 UTC 2005

"Ilya Palagin" <tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> on Monday, January 31, 2005 9:26 PM wrote:

> Colin McGregor wrote:
> >
> > As part of a test disk I have /etc/timezone set to CET (Central European
> > Time), so ntpdate is NOT getting the correct time zone there. I have
> > deliberately set the clock in my development PC to a date in December
2007,
> > 6 hours different from the correct current time. Then I have tried
> > timeservers in the Eastern Time zone and in the Pacific time zone, both
come
> > up with the correct current local date/time, so the timeservers are not
> > sending current local time. In other words things are working perfectly,
and
> > that bugs the @#$% out of me because I don't understand why.
> >
> > Colin McGregor
>
> #>/etc/adjtime
>
> Result?

cat /etc/adjtime

results in:

 -0.001547 1073527507 0.000000
1073527507
LOCAL

Now, my understanding is that adjtime acts as a way for the system to
automatically compensate for PC clocks chips that ALWAYS run slightly too
fast/slow. I also understood (maybe incorrectly) that adjtime had no record
of current time zone...

Colin McGregor