ntpdate working too well question.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 1 02:26:28 UTC 2005

I am back playing with remastering Knoppix (not surprising given that I
talked about that at TLUG in December), and I have run into something that
is working too well. As part of the boot I want to make sure the clock in
the PC is displaying the correct date/time, so I have a little script that
has:

   #!/bin/bash
   ntpdate -s -u <<name of timeserver>>

The above works, perfectly, which I don't understand. How does the system
know I am in Eastern Standard Time and not say for example Pacific Standard
Time?

As part of a test disk I have /etc/timezone set to CET (Central European
Time), so ntpdate is NOT getting the correct time zone there. I have
deliberately set the clock in my development PC to a date in December 2007,
6 hours different from the correct current time. Then I have tried
timeservers in the Eastern Time zone and in the Pacific time zone, both come
up with the correct current local date/time, so the timeservers are not
sending current local time. In other words things are working perfectly, and
that bugs the @#$% out of me because I don't understand why.

Colin McGregor