USB, Bluetooth, VMware

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 14:39:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a question regarding USB-Bluetooth dongles (in Ubuntu 5.04 - Hoary).

I've got a Sony-Ericsson Bluetooth phone and an Ultra Bluetooth USB
dongle. I want to use Sony-Ericsson's sync software to sync my phone
to MS Outlook (which is running in Win XP Virtual Machine in VMware
5.5).

I start up the Win XP virtual machine, run Outlook, and plug in the
USB Bluetooth dongle. I enable this device in VMware and it shows up
in the Win XP VM, where I am able to pair it. When I try to sync from
Outlook to my phone, an Ubuntu (Gnome) message appears telling me that
the host OS has control of the USB device (hci_usb) and to click OK to
stop it in order for the guest OS to access it. The problem is that
this messes with the syncing and eventually fails, every time.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the USB-Bluetooth dongle from
Ubuntu so that it passes it through to VMware? Is this related to the
hotplug function? Would this mess up my USB mouse?

Or, does anyone know of a Linux alternative, which would allow me to
sync my Bluetooth phone to something like Evolution?

Thanks for any help!

-Steve.