Optimized distro for i686

paul sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 12:44:23 UTC 2005

You can recompile .src.rpm packatges for a specific processor,  I would
guess that to optimise FC4 for i686 you could perhaps recompile all the
packages,  and burn these on to a cdrom along with modified installation
routines,  which would give you a new cd that is optimised for that
specific processor.

Ok there is more to it than that, but I have managed to recompile one or
two packages for optimisation (from i386 to i586 I think) and then
instaled these with no problem.

it can take a while to do this to lots of packages,  I would be a good
idea to perhaps do this at a time when you can leave the computer on for
a few hours I would guess you need ALL packages installed so you can
avoid problems with dependancies, while compiling.

any comments

Paul