jobs in Linux / IT

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 28 22:45:25 UTC 2005

On 22-Dec-05, at 20:54, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> In many cases, people are hired by a recruiting team that doesn't have
> a clue as to what the job actually entails.  They simply work off a
> description of the job written on a piece of paper or two.

I don't know what the process is at other companies, but here's how
we do things for the Data Services department here at Afilias. I give
our HR lady the job description (which is mostly for candidates) and
a brief description of what I'm looking for. She passes this along to
the recruiters. For example:

About 7 years industry experience
At least 3 years working with databases, preferably postgres
2 years working in a 24x365 production environment
comfortable working in and administering a unix / linux environment

The recruiters send resumes of potential candidates to our HR lady
who forwards them to me. If they look any good, I ask her to give
them a call and run through an initial interview. If they meet her
approval, then I ask them to come in for an interview, and the
process goes from there.

The goal is two-fold:
1) To find decent candidates.
2) To defend my time from the incredible flurry of applicants who
don't even know what "a unix" is, but sure as heck want the job.

We also post to pgsql-jobs, but that seems more oriented towards
contract than full time permanent.

> Certifications tell these types of people that you know "about this
> much" of the skills/information specific to their needs.  I don't
> think it's a time wasting process; there's some value in getting that
> piece of paper.

With a few exceptions, certifications tell me that you've got the
background for an entry level position and that you cared enough to
go get the cert.

> Btw - LPI Certs are considerably cheaper than MS Certs, contain much
> less advertising, and are somewhat more challenging I think.

And guys like me don't get a chuckle out of seeing LPI certs on a
resume, unlike some of the MS certs. However, I'm not looking for
people to run windows boxes.

Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Data Services Group Manager, Afilias Canada Corp. Ltd.
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A