ot-no free lunch and UI issues

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 28 15:30:20 UTC 2005

I am not sure if I fully understand what all this means,  I place value
on data,  as would anyone,  what people want is a reliable way of
creating and storing that data,  on a system that will not trash this
data,   Windows does that, only then suffers from problems that causes a
virus or whatever to trash the data, Linux does not have that problem
but I hve had to nuke adn reinstall because of a problem I don't
understand and can't fix.  Most people can fix problems in windows or
ask a friend to fix it,  because in most cases their friend can be there
to fix it,  as in on site.  I know lots of people who can use Linux and
ther are about 6 of us including me living in torbay,  who are on the
local Linux user group.

It depends on what you want back from the users,  I think a simple
e-mail to say this works,  goes a long way,  The community needs to find
a way to make it easier for users to provide feedback to developers,
even if this is via user groups,  then the developers need to take note
and act on these recomendations.  The oo.org method seems very over
complex, I have sent a new poster in for the software and asked if it is
ok to use the various logos within it,  as I took these from the flyer
,includng the windows logo,  as the software works with windows,   So
far I have had very little feed back,  on it's been christmas, but not
many people have even read the issue.   I think others feel the same
way,  they don't want to create issues etc they just want to contribute
something.

some examples of UI problems

In control center  - part of kde there is a Login manager section but
this does not seem to include a way to add users,  however to do this I
use kuser which is a separate program,  not included in control panel,

This is the problem.  In windows I would goto control panel,  but in
Linux I have to go somewhree else,  after I have gone to somewhere where
I would expect to find this tool. I spend a lot of time searching for
stuff,

Another example is on kanotix there is a games menu, there is also a
debian games menu,  try finding something and it's no on one so try the
other,  there should be ONE games menu yes with submenus, but lets keep
it simple.  Ok saying that at least I know where games are, try with
windows and it just sticks stuff anywhere, so in this sense Linux is a
little better.

Another example is the adsl connection too,  if it can't find a
connection it says something about an "access concentrator" perhaps
developers here need lessons in ENGLISH,  ie in dump the techno babble
and say I am unable to detect a connection to the internet,   it also
says about perahps another process is using pppoe or something.  I
understand it kind of but people with no knowledgre don't stand a chance.

Again for people like me I have learnt now I can type dhclient in a
console window,  and get a connection,  I kind of understand what is
happening, but toa total newbie this would be really off putting.

Most users who get stuck with the second example can't even get on the
net to make contributions in the first, place, or even ask for help, so
they boot into windows (which works) in order to ask for help on
something that should work better.  what is needed is simplicity,
without sacraficing the power of the system,  or perhaps Linspire is the
way to go, easy to use,  where as those of us who want power and the
toools can use different distros,

Get the base system working, theh give average person out there, the
tools they need.