jobs in Linux / IT

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 24 02:03:10 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 12:35:07AM -0500, Clive DaSilva wrote:
>

>>James Knott wrote:

>>>In fact, age discrimination is so prevelant that the EI people have a
>>>special program to help deal with it.
>>>--
>>>

>>Any idea how effective this might be for getting the over 45 crowd back
>>into the labour force ??
>>
>>Just curious
>>

>My opinion is very little. They are actually target younger unskilled people not older people with many these programs. Age discrimation occurs more against people in their late teens and early twentys when they have 'no experience'. Most programs are glorified slave labour (volunteer work for no pay to gain experience) in jobs that require little to no skills.
>
>The programs were generally created because the baby boomers kids hit the job market about the time the "Great Recession" hit in 2000. There are some programs for training but if you know what a keyboard looks like you are overqualified for such programs and EI will not pay for you taking them and most likely you won't get anything out of them anyway.
>
>Bill

Interesting, Bill. Being one of the over 45 crowd, I attended a 3 week
workshop given by a group called Ageworks, which is funded by HRDC.  It
was mostly based on such topics writing resumes to hide tour age,
tricking silly HR people into inviting you for an interview, and how to
cold call. In my opinion it did nothing for us, as none of the group
have gotten jobs since the even ended.

Sad situation

--
Clive DaSilva