jobs in Linux / IT

paul sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 11:24:11 UTC 2005

Same here.  I can install windows pretty well with no manuals,  if I
need help I can use the net,  or usergroups after reading manuals, or
ask on a usergroup for suggestions for manuals, then if I get stuck as
for help based on the book I have,  thing is like most people,  I guess,
friends can back this up,  or this has been demonstrated,  but employers
demand paper proof,  to me just because you have an MSCE, may not mena
you can do certain things,  well.  I prefer

 >Me: No. I know enough Windows to administer it or offer help to
others. And if there is a need, I can learn myself.

Saying that, I remember fixing a friends computer a while back,  a virus
had trashed the networking for the DHCP,  firstly I checked the hardware
was connected ok, then I booted knoppix to see if that could pick up the
internet properly, it did,  so phoning the help line I said I had done
this, saving loads of time.  They could not help and said call MS,  so
we did, so again I told the MS guy I had booted knoppix and that worked
fine,  he then talked me through deleting some socks entry from the
registry and everything was fine/

youi could always say your linux certified,  if they ask,  they would
then do anything to avoid the risk of you dumping Windows in favour of
something better.

Paul

> He: But if there is a real problem they (from MS) will not even talk
> with a someone who is not MS-certified ...

Good point,  plus there is nothing better than experinece of actually
doing something yourself adn solving the problems on your own,  which is
what I guess employers should be looking for,  that ability,