FOSS and the election

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 23 03:44:57 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
> >>Require federal departments and agencies to transition to open
> >>source or free software for general applications, and provide free
> >>tech support to Canadian companies who also use this software.
>
> I find the part following the comma quite odd.  Why should tax dollars
> be freely doled out to companies?  Not that it doesn't happen every day,
> but ...

Show them a foss-friendly work environment, where commons based tools
exist.  Tech support is just as easy as this mailing list.  Everyone
benefits (except those that'd have to develop the procedures and
processes for interacting with NG's.  I'd feel for them.  Oh wait,
they're the parties.  No I don't.  ;-)

In a sense there might be some financial loss through "man-hours", but
there's also a significant social gain.  I think they used to call it
"Customer Service."

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

'I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source
code' - Unknown