OT: Where is the wilderness? (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Tom Legrady legrady-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 23:16:07 UTC 2005

On 22-Dec 05, at 1:12 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On the Quebec side of the border with Ontario, one can take Highway
> 109, the northern most paved road in Eastern Canada, all the way up
> to James Bay. It would be about 1700 km from Toronto to Chissasibi,
> which is at the end of that road on James Bay
> <http://mandow.ca/got.htm>. I read a travelogue of someone who drove
> up there and it seems like quite an adventure indeed. See here:
> <http://mandow.ca/diary.htm>. If I recall correctly, there was a 700
> km stretch with no gas stations so most people would have to carry
> spare fuel
I built that road.

In 1973, 1974 I had a summer job as survery crew with Miron, one of
the construction companies. Our base camp was at mile 315. The first
winter, they had a convoy drive up all together during the winter,
just drive across the frozen rivers and lakes, and drop off all the
equipments at the various companies' campsites. The first thing they
did was build an airstrip on a long, straight section of what was to
be road, so food could be delivered and employees could get out from
isolation. The objective for the first summer was to complete a road,
any quality of road, from one end of the contract to the other, so
that the next year's supplies could be driven in.

There wasn't much to do, so I learned to play pool.

When I went up in March, beginning of the second year, I was sent out
to the land rovers to check out what survey equipment we had out
there. I climbed into the back of one vehicle to find myself face to
face with a bobcat .... one of the managers had hunted it illegally
and was storing it in natural deep-freeze

Tom Legrady ..... 6 days away from 'old'
XMas Shopping photos => http://www.flickr.com/photos/89217343@N00/
sets/1601047/show